Wednesday, May 10, 2006

New online Bible tool


I have used several of the various online Bible sites. I really like the NET bible as a new and modern translation that has the readability of the NIV and the accuracy of the NASB. But there is a new evangelist on the block and he is preaching the Word with a host of Web 2.0 goodness and his name is eBible
TechCrunch has only a slightly blasphemous article describing some of the features that will be incorporated into eBible.
Search any of a number of versions of the Bible with eBible by keyword (and switch between Bible versions once you’ve selected text you are interested in). eBible pulls additional information relevant to your query from a library of Bible reference sites, such as dictionaries, topicals, encyclopedias, handbooks, etc. Expert commentary is also included in the margin of Biblical text.

Currently in Beta and by invite only (anyone want to pass me and invite pretty please) eBible will hopefully offer more resources than your average online bible site. The idea is to allow a person to search passage of scripture, have eBible pull up your query as well as bring up extra biblical resources such as commentaries, bible dictionaries, lexicons and various other bible study aids.

The one problem I anticipate is a lack of mainstream modern resources and bible translations. Almost anyone can include Strong’s numbers or the KJV in a program because they lack any licensing fees. The NIV, Bible Knowledge Commentary, the Bauer, Arndt, Gingrich Greek/English are all excellent translations and/or bible reference, but each has a fee for use. I did notice that the screen shot at the TechCrunch article has the NASB listed.

UPDATE: The article got "dugg" at digg.com, so expect some heavy traffic and possible the websites to be down. This happens a lot to sites that get "dugg" and were not prepared for it.

5 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've got an invite but don't have your email?! Post it and I'll hook you up.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Ken Wilson said...

I would absolutely love an invite if you happen to have anymore...

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Bish, yes I am a Brazil fan. for starters, I live in Brazil. Secondly, my wife is Brazilian. So am a little biased towards her.
As far as invites go, I ma hoping to get one for myself. (mark, my e-mail is jasondgardner AT gmail.com)
As soon as I get some, I will hand them out to you guys.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is this where we wait in line for sign ups??? I'm next!!!

Sounds like a great idea for the search capabilities.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love this idea. Do you have any invites left, if so may I have one please. konno1 at gmail dot com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home